Socially Responsive Investing
Our SRI Value mandates - both separate accounts as well as an open-end mutual fund - combine our
differentiated, value-oriented investment philosophy with social screens and a holistic ESG
(Environmental, Social, Governance) analysis in order to deliver returns in a socially responsive manner.
We seek to own value-creating businesses operating in advantaged industries using our proprietary fundamental
UNIQUE: CLIENT IDEALS
- SRI is a careful decision to allocate capital in the best manner the investor sees fit.
- The client makes a choice to invest or not invest in a company that is aligned with or against his/her personal
- We pride ourselves in managing equity portfolios that match the investor's unique set of ideals as well as investment
goals and objectives.
- The approach to investing is research driven.
- We currently have more than 40 analysts whose purpose it is to gain an operational understanding of their industry,
effectively becoming an expert in that industry. The analysts develop this expertise by visiting the senior management
of companies, and speaking to suppliers, competitors, and customers.
- The over-riding objective is to find strong businesses run by good management that meet our valuation criteria.
- Once a decision is reached to purchase a company from a fundamental investment standpoint, we overlay our social
screening process, supplemented with an outside screening service, RiskMetrics, part of MSCI ESG Research.
- Each portfolio is customized according to the particular client's goals, objectives, and social guidelines.
- Clients provide a set of social guidelines which allows us the ability and the foundation to construct and monitor
- The clients are assigned a team consisting of the portfolio manager and client relationship manager to ensure that
client guidelines are met.
- GAMCO Asset Management was formed in 1977. In 1987, we started managing our first SRI separate account.
- Since that time we have seen tremendous growth in assets and performance of SRI client portfolios.
- We pride ourselves in managing portfolios that exceed client objectives in terms of performance and social
SRI Value Capabilities
The Evolution of SRI
Recent White Paper written by Portfolio
Managers Christopher C. Desmarais
& Kevin V. Dreyer